Appointment of the Vice-Chancellor
The Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the President of the people's Republic of Bangladesh is the Chancellor of this University for a period of four years on such terms and conditions as the Chancellor may determine.
At any time when the Vice-Chancellor is absent or is unable to perform the functions of his office due to illness or some other cause, the Chancellor shall make such arrangements for the performance of the functions of the Vice-Chancellor as he may deem fit.
Powers and Functions of the Vice-Chancellor
- The Vice-Chancellor shall be the whole-time principal executive and academic officer of the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall, in the absence of the Chancellor, preside at the Convocations of the University, and shall be entitled to be present and to speak at any meeting of any Authority or other body of the University but shall not be entitled to vote thereat unless he is a member of the Authority or the body concerned.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall ensure that the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances are faithfully observed, and may for this purpose exercise such powers as may be necessary.
- The Vice-Chancellor may, in any emergency which, in his opinion, requires immediate action, take such action as he deems necessary, and shall, as soon thereafter as possible, report his action to the officer. Authority or other body who or which in the ordinary course would have dealt with the matter ; Provided that nothing in this Sub-section shall be construed as empowering the Vice-Chancellor to create new posts or to incur expenditure in excess of the amount shown in the approved annual budget.
- The Vice-Chancellor may appoint, for a period of not more than six months, officers, other than the Treasurer, teachers and employees and report such appointment to the Syndicate; Provided that no such appointment shall be made to a post which is not already approved by the Authority concerned.
- The Vice-Chancellor may, with the approval of the Syndicate, delegate such of his powers and functions as he may consider necessary to such officers of the University as he may deem fit.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall convene meetings of the syndicate and the Academic Council.
- In case of the Vice-Chancellor not agreeing with the resolution of any Authority or body of the University, the Vice-Chancellor may withhold implementation of the resolution and refer it to the Chancellor for his decision and the decision of the Chancellor thereon shall be final.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall give effect to the decisions of the Syndicate regarding appointments, dismissal and suspension of the officers and teachers of the University and other disciplinary measures against them.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise general control over the officers, teachers and employees of the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall be responsible for maintaining the discipline in the University in accordance with this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes, the Ordinances and the Regulations.